Thursday, September 30, 2010

"I paint self-portraits because I am the person I know best"

Working in my journal with Inktense pencils, acrylics and graphite pencil.  
Kelly Berkey has written some things on her blog that I resonate with me.  It may explain why I have been doing these portrait practices in my journal.  I sit in front of a little mirror to use myself as a guide.  I do not consider them truly self-portraits (although, there is a school of thought that every work an artist creates is, to some degree, a self-portrait).  It helps me with placements of facial features. I guess I have to admit, there is something of me in each one.   This quote from Frida Kahlo kinda explains it all: "I paint self-portraits because I am the person I know best".

1 comment:

Diane said...

Beautiful!