Sunday, August 01, 2010

Moving Forward

Pretty In Pink
Today, I listed my first piece on Etsy.  I've had the banner up of my shop for awhile, but today I made a move forward.  I listed a painting, yes, just one.  I cannot begin to tell you how difficult it was for me to move past self imposed obstacles.  The mind chatter was relentless:  what are you going to charge for shipping, are you going to consider shipping internationally (why am I obsessing about shipping), you can't post just one piece, what are you doing, you don't have any shipping materials, again-what are you doing, your profile doesn't seem finished and on and on.  Okay, so my profile is not finished.  I can always add to it.  I decided to not let that stop me, to not let that and some others things postpone my move forward.  Waiting for everything to be perfect, is a great excuse for me not to do anything at all.  I was leaning on that one a little too long.
So, today, I released her name, wrote a bit of a description and let go.  She's on Etsy now.  Today, I am breathing easier because I am not holding on to "what if".  Today, I took a step toward how I envision myself: a working artist.

4 comments:

Gloria Martin said...

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!

Allo, I'm so happy for you. Congratulations, and the very best wishes for tons of success. This piece is magnificent.

Big hug, Gloria

Suzanne said...

Way to go! Remember, you can edit anything at any time. Update your profile; put more in the description of the item; add another photo to the item. Are you going to post more items? I've been posting 1 almost every day for a month. Haven't gotten a sale yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Suzanne said...

One more thing: have you given a spot on your blog that will link you directly to your etsy site? I didn't see it.

lori said...

I'm right there with you! I haven't opened shop because I don't have my shipping supplies and I worry about all the things that you just listed...international shipping...finishing my profile..etc...you are inspiring me.